Monday, February 22, 2010

Raw Food Lifestyle Series - Day 2

Today we woke up to our normal routine. Alarm went off at 5am (we went to bed at 8:30pm last night) Kelli jumped in the shower, I got up at 5:20 and hit the kitchen. Last night I was really exhausted so didn't apply my time saving tip of preparing our lunches so I had to make our salads this morning.

Salads are easy and we never get tired of them. 3 cups or so of spinach, sliced onions, pepitas, spiced sunflower seeds, cherry tomatoes, nutritional yeast and kelp granuals. That took about 10 minutes.

After salads I made our green smoothie. 2 Oranges, a handfull of kale inluding stems, 1 mango, 6 ice cubes, about 1/2C of water, og hemp powder and vitamineral greens. Yielded exactly 4C this time!...poured them in our Living Light mugs with lid, set them in the freezer, rinsed the vitamix container and put the base back in the cupboard.

I hit the shower, got ready and off we went a 6:10am. We like to leave at 6 but it's all good.

I will say this as a sidebar, my legs and body feel pretty darn good after running for nearly 3 hours yesterday. A little sore near the hips, but overall it's about as good as it gets! Today was a day off from running and I'll do it again tomorrow.

We drank our green drinks on the way to work.  I dropped her off and headed to my office. We work about 10 minutes away from each other.  As soon as I got to work, I reached for my daily apple.

At 11:30, I picked up Kelli for lunch. We ate our salads in the parking lot of Trader Joe's then stopped in to get a few things. Picked up some dried mangos for a snack as well as bananas and og roma tomatoes. After I got back to work, I ate an og kiwi. *SIDE NOTE: Trader Joe's in Valencia, CA carries organic raw almonds!*

I worked till 3:30pm and left to pick up Kelli. She usually leaves at 3:30pm but recently has been staying much later.  I also realized that I hadn't drank as much water as I normally do. Only 3L to that point.

On the way home we polished off the dried mangos.  As soon as we got home, we ate and ate and ate (daily habit).  It started off with those pesky gargonzola chips, then to almond bread, almond/pecan/cashew clusters and finally finished off with an apple. Perfect way to fuel up before boxing...........NOT! Word to those who want to exercise. DO NOT eat or drink anything up to an hour beforehand. You want to keep your GI tract as empty as possible.

At about 5:45pm I had the bright idea of making coconut curry wraps so we can stuff it with mango chutney and falafels for lunch tomorrow. The wraps took me almost an hour from start to cleanup. This was a recipe development wrap so it took a little longer to adjust for flavors and such.

We left for boxing at 6:40pm and got there right on time. Tonight was open gym night so it was the gym was a little more full than normal. It was a good mix of cardio and combinations today.  Lots of pushups, combos, situps and speed work. After an hour of sweating, we finished the night off with a 1 minute plank and went home.

As soon as we got home we ate our Pad Thai noodles that I made last night. I made enough for my client's lunch and our dinner :). I ate another apple hehe. We cleaned up, showered and watched a little Olympic coverage.

After a few minutes of sitting there, I hit the kitchen and made mango chutney and falafel "meat" for my client's lunch tomorrow, as well as ours. I made enough for dinner too, or at least I hope! That mango chutney is reeeeeally good (curtosy of Matt Amsden's book, Rawvolution). Ate a couple handful of dehydrated almonds as well.

I don't have to work the rest of the week so I plan on making lots of good stuff in the kitchen. I hope to take advantage of the time to make lots of things that we can keep in the freezer or pantry.  Perhaps I'll make a ton of different wraps, snacks, crackers, etc.

Well, there you have it. Now you got a glimpse of what it is we eat on a daily basis. As you can see, lots of fruit, veggies, nuts/seeds and water.  We also added in a few non-raw snacks but a little here and there doesn't hurt us.

Blessings to all! Embrace the journey!

No comments:

Post a Comment