Wednesday, February 10, 2010

I'm Raw and They're Not

You might be in your raw food journey and your partner wants nothing to do with it. Is it hard for you? I sure don't think it makes it any easier.

My personal raw food journey began with my lovely girlfriend, now fiance :). She's still raw as long as I'm making all the food. We're not vegan's but we consider ourselves raw foodists. I know it doesn't make sense being that raw is a derivative (for all your math nerds) of veganism. The occasional non-raw dishes just might happen to contain animal product. We don't try stress ourselves out by trying to be "100% raw". We've done that before and believe me, it wasn't fun. For us, it's more about how we feel. If you're not feeling good and not having fun, what's the point?

My New Year Resolution was to be vegan. So far so good minus the crackers we buy at Trader Joe's coated with who knows what and gargonzola cheese. It's definitely yummy. We probably buy a box of those once a month or so. We can easily go through it in a day...and it's happened before.

If you're in a relationship and you want to go raw and your partner doesn't then try to communicate in a way that's effective for you both. Let them know how you feel. Talk openly without feeling threatened. This may or may not work for you but it has in my personal life.

Super Bowl Sunday: if we had cable, this wouldn't have been a problem, but we didn't so we went to a bar. Kelli wanted nachos and of course they came out covered in lots of cheese and some bits of meat. I picked around it because I made a decision that I was not going to eat meat or dairy this year. After a few minutes I asked her if it's uncomfortable for her that I was not eating the nachos covered with stuff I didn't want. She honestly said no and was glad to find me chips with nothing on them. I told her I didn't want to make her uncomfortable or feel weird. I also told her if she ever feels that way when we're out to just let me know. If I never know then I cannot resolve the issue.

Next came the gargonzola crackers from Trader Joe's. I know how much she really wanted them without her saying much. We share everything so if we got a box of crackers that happened to contain a dairy product, it would be extremely weird that I wouldn't be eating them. Just the thought of us not sharing something is weird in itself. I love her more than words can ever describe, more than you'd ever see radiate from my food. I'd do anything to make her happy. Even though those crackers may be her vice, I'm not going to get in the way of her journey. We bought some of those crackers and ate some tonight. I'll likely eat some tomorrow and the day after. If a few crackers with some cheese is the worst thing I eat all day, then I think I'm doing pretty dang good. I'm not going to throw her under the bus or make her feel bad for getting the crackers. I embrace the journey, not scold it.

Enjoy your journey. You'll continue to grow more beautiful each day. Your partner will notice a difference in you. They will soon be curious. Do not try to force it upon them. You cannot make them do something they do not want to do. They will have to come to that conclusion on their own.

Tongiht's dinner was a Mexican cuisine:
Enchiladas stuffed with Mexican seasoned cabbage rice and guacamole. They were topped with a Mexican seasoned cashew cheese. I added scallions, onions, jalapeno, Mexican Blend powder and chili powder to the cheese.

This dish was served with seasoned cabbage rice, guac and a cherry tomato. I used a scallion leaf for garnish.

I rolled the enchilada, spread the cheese on top then put it in the dehydrator for 1/2 hour at 125F.

I thought it tasted great. I think I would have to alter the recipe if someone wasn't a big fan of spice. I feel the spice really made that dish. Having it on top of the enchilda helps so the flavor isn't lost in the filling.

Texture was right on. Enchiladas are essentially slop in the middle. These had a nice cream/slop texture.

Enjoy!

1 comment:

  1. Oh this is a wonderful sentiment about what to do if
    your loved one buys crackers. :)
    food eaten consciously and with love is better than the most perfect of raw foods.

    ReplyDelete